Saturday 6 March 2010

Festival Planning


Well it's that time of year again when I turn my fairy head to planning which festivals I'm going to trade at. I would like to leave you with the thought that I just browse the internet, see which look nice and then book them, turn up at them, sell my lovely fairy goodies, make lots of money and go home happy.

Unfortunatley it is never that straight forward. I do have a wish list each year, I then normally realise I have either missed the application deadline, or can't afford to apply. Out of the ones I do apply for, it is not guaranteed that they will offer you a pitch, or sometimes they do but at such extortinate rates that its no longer viable. However I am not defeated and have yet again applied in hope.

So far Womad has confirmed my pitch, so thats really good. I have another three applications waiting to filled out and posted this weekend. I have already applied to another four that I am waiting for confirmation from and have been turned down for another :(

Really pleased to be going to Womad again as this was really good fun last year. Exceptionally hard work though as the week running up to it was hectic and we had a mega early start to the weekend as we were a day late arriving!!!! (oops didn't read the trading terms very carefully) It was worth it in the end and if you wanted to see how last years Womad went check this older blog post Womad 2009.

I keep mulling over new ideas for how to make my stall more successful. I already make alot of my stock including tutus, wings, fairy hair, wands, hair accessories, the rest I buy in. I am looking to increase the amount of stock I make myself. I am desperately looking for a machinist so I can have my own designs sewn up in larger numbers. So if anyone knows anyone let me know (?)...

I am thinking of offering hair braiding on my stall as this would fit nicely with what I'm doing. Has anyone got any other ideas of what might work. I need to make my stall stand out from all the rest. Stall pitches can be so expensive that you really need to get alot of sales once you there.

Right must plough on as the kids are out for the day with their Dad and Grumpy Tony (grandad) so giving me the chance to catch up. My arts officer work is taking over abit at the moment and my mum is unfortunatley still in hospital, so theres not been enough hours in the day to get my fairy stuff sorted.

No comments: